3.09.2010

Hell did not freeze over, I just cooked dinner

That's right people, I did something I never do- I cooked dinner. I know for most people that sounds odd. But I'm just not a cook. I can cook. It's not from a lack of ability. I just don't really enjoy it and it is so time consuming that I get bogged down. But I have been inspired by this wonderful woman. And so tonight I tried a recipe and I would say it turned out pretty darn good.

It's from foodnetwork.com and specifically it's from the show "Five Ingredient Fix". The recipe is called Bleu Cheese Stuffed Filets. I think anyone can make this recipe and most people would enjoy it. But 4 year olds aren't especially fond of the bleu cheese flavor.

FYI- If you decide to make this recipe, follow my version of it and use a lesser quality steak than filet. I used sirloin filets and paid $12 for 4. I priced the filets and they would have been $44. Plus, I use Danish Bleu Cheese from Publix for $5.59. Stilton was $20 for the same amount and that is what the original recipe called for.



Here's the recipe and how I changed it up a little:
Ingredients
1 stick butter, room temperature
6 ounces Bleu cheese, cut into chunks
4 4 to 6 ounces steaks (I recommend a sirloin filet- cheap but good- not filet mignon- too pricey

Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Directions
In a food processor, pulse butter until whipped, and then add cheese. Pulse again just until incorporated. Dollop the compound butter towards 1 side of a piece of plastic wrap. Roll into a log, twisting opposite ways on both ends to create a tightly wrapped log of butter. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to set. (Can be stored up to 1 week in the refrigerator and up to 1 month in the freezer.) This could be made into 2 logs, as you will only need half this recipe for the steaks.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Once butter log is set, slice 1/2 the whole log into 1/4-inch disks. Cut a slit in the side of each fillet, and stuff with a butter disk. Tie each fillet with kitchen twine to keep it shape and sprinkle pepper each side.
Add the olive oil to a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, sear each fillet until brown on both sides, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Move skillet into the preheated oven to cook to desired doneness. Put another disk of the compound butter on top of each fillet just about 3 minutes before removing from oven, to just begin to melt but not melted completely. Remove from the oven and place on serving plates. Eat and enjoy!


3 comments: