4.05.2010

Where I come from


This is the house I grew up in. It was finished 30 years ago this week (in 1980) and my parents have lived there the entire 30 years.
A little history about this house:
-My dad was a Master Sergeant in the Army until 1989. Up until about 1980, my parent's lived all over the place. Mostly my mom lived in the metro Atlanta area and my dad lived overseas. Except for the 3 or 4 years that they packed the whole family up to live in Germany.
They were finally able to settle down when my Dad got a permanent assignment at Fort McPherson. Which is why they built this house in Fayette County.
-When my parents moved into this house, there was one house about 30 acres to their left and that was it. There are now 10 more house on their street, mostly on 3-5 acres each.
-The road to my parent's house was gravel until the 90's. It is now asphalt and measures roughly 4/10 of a mile.
-The house plan is a John Wieland plan with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a bonus room over the garage. It is about 1800 sq. ft. and it was very crowded with 5 kids.
-Everything about the interior of the house is dark. Dark wood, dark paneling, dark brick.
-The trees around the house are huge and beautiful. The entire yard is draped in a canopy of old oak trees.
-Not a single baby was brought home to this house, as my parent's didn't finish and move into the house until my youngest sister was a few weeks old.
-My mom oversaw the building of the house by herself. My dad was stationed in Korea while it was being built.
-There was a house fire in the house in the late 1980's but the damage was minimal since my brother drug a water hose up the stairs and fought the fire until the trucks got there.

And there are a million more tidbits of info I could share, but I would hate to bore you. I do however plan on writing another post about the inside of the house. I just have to upload the pictures, which takes forever.
So there it is, my original home. Where I come from. The place that made me who I am.
I'd love to know where you came from.

2 comments:

  1. I love this house. It always felt like home, and I bet I could walk in it today and feel the same -- like nothing changed! I have so many wonderful memories here with you and your family. I love the way your mom's kitchen always smelled. I remember the gravel road and when they paved it. Either way, we drove much too fast on it. I don't recall it being only 1800 sq ft. Really? It seemed huge!
    Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool Lori. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete