4.18.2010

No Technology Week (My kids will never forgive me)

Last Monday I had had enough. I came home from work, picked the kids up and they were not behaving like I would expect. And for the better part of 2 hours they were awful. They were on each others nerves as much as possible and I got really tired of hearing them bicker. They could not settle on anything without fussing and fighting. And they were not only on each others case, but they also had not been too respectful of me either. So I was fed up. The final straw was when I told Britton to come downstairs and put his baseball uniform. He looked at me, told me "no" and said he didn't want to go to baseball, he wanted to watch TV. Bad Move.
Welcome to "No Technology Week" at the Bryant House. An idea that was born from my kids acting like little turds. Here are the rules: No TV or Internet from Monday through Thursday. Instead, you will be forced to play and use your imagination. That's right- let the suffering begin. What a hard life. You must enjoy the beautiful weather. You must ride a bike or enjoy a book. Poor kids, you should feel sorry for them. Because they are having to learn how life was back in the day. Back when online games and crappy Disney TV were non-existent.

And guess what? The kids survived the first week! And they are actually acting like humans again. And they have been playing so hard that by the time bedtime rolls around, they are wore out.
And "No Technology Week" went so well, it has been extended for 6 weeks!!! That's right kids- we enjoyed you playing in the yard so much that we want to see you play until summer break!
And who knows, maybe we will make this a permanent change in our family.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog from Keight Dukes. My dad used to make us go long periods of time without watching tv. I didn't like it, but now we don't have a tv in Thailand, and it's kind of nice.

    We're praying for you, Evan, and the kids. Give everyone at SWCC a hug for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the best pictures of Britton ever.

    ReplyDelete