4.21.2010

A Science Project


A few weeks ago, we visited the Butterfly house at Callaway Gardens. And in all honesty, I wasn't that excited about going. But I wanted the kids to see what it was all about. And as it turns out, I loved seeing the butterflies! They were beautiful and surreal. And their life cycle is fascinating.
So fascinating that I made it my personal mission to make my kids learn all about it firsthand. So I did a little internet search and found out that you can grow your own butterflies! That is correct. You can raise butterflies from tiny caterpillars to full grown butterflies. What a great activity for my kids!
Our caterpillars came from insectlore.com. We ordered the Butterfly Garden kit, complete with caterpillars and a habitat for our new pets. It's $19.95 plus shipping which is totally reasonable for what you get.
We have 2 sets of caterpillars because of a little shipping issue. One set we have had for 7 days and they are about to form their cocoons. The second set we have only had for 1 day and they are tiny little caterpillars.
I can't wait to see the next stage as the kids have LOVED watching our first set of caterpillars grow and form. An the thought of having our very own butterflies (to release of course) makes me feel like a little kid.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the excitement I had in 3rd grade when I found a caterpillar on the playground and took it home. Surprisingly, it lived and I was so amazed that it actually made a cocoon and everything. I was going to have my very own butterfly and I was sure it would be a Monarch butterfly and would fly around my room. It hatched and what came forth was no Monarch butterfly. It was a moth. Needless to say I was a little dissapointed

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool, and I might just need to get some kits of my own. And Evan, that is sad. Funny, but sad. Sorry for your moth.

    ReplyDelete