10.14.2010

I Don't Remember

I had this conversation with our daughter Haley last night.
She asked me a simple question about something that happened last week.
Starngely enough, I can't remember what she asked me.
Because that was yesterday.
And I don't remember the details of yesterday.
And I don't remember the details of last week.
So I couldn't answer her question.
And before you go off and assume I must have a drug or alcohol problem, let me assure you I don't. There is nothing I do that messes with my mind.
I simply don't have much of a memory.
I know this all sounds odd.
It is odd.

I have a few theories about why I am the way I am.
The first involves my hospitalization when I was pregnant with Haley.
For about a week I was sedated on and off. And I was on the worst drug ever- Mag Sulfate.
I'm just convinced that some time during that week, my brain decided it was done storing information long term. I distinctly remember ( That's weird isn't it since I just said I can't remember) thinking that my mind was different after that week.
And then there is my thyroid. I have a really awesome underactive thyroid. And one of the issues that goes along with a non-functioning thyroid is "brain fog".
Problem is, my fog seldom lifts.

One interesting fact about my weirdo condition is that I can in fact remember some things much better than others.
I am pretty good about remembering phone numbers.
I am great at remembering dates, but not so good at times.
And that might be it.

Everything else gets shuffled into my head and out not long after it entered.
Don't ever expect me to remember your name!

So there you go. Another post where I am being honest.
Do you think I'm crazy?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you are weird. In fact, I feel a little more normal after reading this. I have a horrible memory. When I was in 9th grade, I was in an accident and had a concussion, and I think that may have something to do with it. My other theory is "Placenta Brain" just took up permanent residence with me four kids into this gig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how's the old ATM pin remembrance coming? hypothy is the pits!

    ReplyDelete