12.29.2010

An Old Soul




I have many people in my life that I admire, but my Mama is right up at the top of my list.

At times she drives me crazy, but most of the time I am in awe over her natural talents and abilities.

A couple of years ago, I decided I wanted to be more like her. I wanted to learn how to sew- something she is very good at.

I convinced her to come over ever Thursday night for about 8 weeks and teach me and BFF Bethany how to sew. We loved it!
My mom is a hoot- an older Southern woman who is quirky as heck. But she taught us how to sew on a machine.
The problem was, she wanted us to do everything perfectly and both Bethany and I have no patience and we like to cut up too much. So it was a riot.
And honestly after our lessons were over, I wasn't sure I would sew that much. Not because I didn't like it, but because I thought I would never have the time or be good enough.
But now I'm sewing like a mad woman. Mostly I'm making hospital gowns for Giggle Gowns, our friend's non-profit.

And I mentioned to my Mama how much I was loving to sew and how much I wanted to get better at it. I told her for Christmas I would like a pair of "good" scissors, a pair like hers. I also mentioned that one day I would love to have a finishing machine, maybe a serger. But I'd have to save up for that. She laughed and said those were expensive but maybe one day I could get one.

Well I found out how proud my mom really is of me for learning to sew when on Christmas Eve night she gave me my gift and I opened it and it was a new serger!
My heart just stopped. I cried real tears. And my Mama cried too.
She said she was proud of me for trying and learning and she wanted me to have the best.
It was an expensive gift, but it is really priceless.
Because it was bought with love and it will carry on a legacy.

I hope to continue to make my Mama proud with my sewing.
I will never be as good as she is, but I will sure try.

3 comments:

  1. I love this story. What a precious gift! Not just the sewing machine, but the lessons that have allowed you to bless Giggle Gowns and the many children that wear those gowns. Never would have pinned you as a seamstress! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. This made me cry. And I already knew about the gift. I love your mom. Maybe one day I will be able to sew and iron well enough for her to be proud. Bahahaha.

    ReplyDelete