8.24.2010

Attention: This is a Rant

I will probably get hate mail for this, but I am about to tell you how I feel.
Surprise!

Here goes:
I find it very interesting that more parents don't subscribe to the idea that failure is not an option for their children.
First, failure is NOT an option for my kids. We expect the best from them. And we will do anything under the sun to make sure they are as successful as they possibly can be.
And before you tell me it's not all about success, let me clarify.
I don't have to have my kids both be doctors or engineers.
I would be content with them being whatever they want to be.
In fact, I am certain Haley will pursue a career in teaching or the like. And I'm assuming that if pay history continues, she will not make a lot of money.
But money is not success.
Success is being the best you can be when given a specific task.
Whether it be school work, chores or a career.
A child should be the best at what they are doing.

And after attending Open House at our elementary school tonight, I realized several parents aren't willing to push their children to be successful.
They simply want to do the minimum amount of work and they want to know what is expected to pass.
And this really pisses me off. Because parents are teaching kids that getting by is ok. And that is why this world is how it is today.
Hard work is not expected and achievement is prized less and less.
But not for my kids.

And I will be honest, I am very hard on my kids. But so were my parents.
I was always told that failure was not an option.
And I thank my parents for that.
I was well prepared for my life as a homemaker, wife, employee and mom.
And I work hard every day to be the best at what I do.

So yeah, my kids will probably hate me for a few years. And there will be tears shed.
But in the end, it will pay off I'm sure.

One more thing- my kids can do anything they want to in life, but it is my ultimate goal to make sure that they understand that Jesus Christ is the reason they are who they are.
I want them to always be grateful to Him for their abilities and their gifts.
And I will encourage them to always love first and to give all they have to the glory of God.

2 comments:

  1. I love this rant. Failure should never be an option, I'm with you. And your children will love you for it later. And mean old Chad and Bee will back you up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely! It is that mindset of mediocrity that made me decide to homeschool. It is rampant throughout the education system... rampant across America. Good for you, momma! Expect the BEST and they will step up and deliver!!

    ReplyDelete