2.20.2011

To Serve is to Love

Today my family had an opportunity to help some friends with a little yard work.
They had a year's worth of leaves to rake and we had 6 able adults to make the job easier.
About half way through the raking, I said out loud that I wish we had taken a before picture of the yard so that we could compare it to when we got done.
But the reason why I didn't take the before picture was because I was convinced we wouldn't be able to make that big of a difference. I figured we would not be able to conquer the task we had on front of us.
But I was wrong!
In less than 2.5 hours, 6 adults raked and bagged a pretty large yard that was completely covered with leaves. And the greater part of the story is that we had a blast doing it. We laughed and talked and enjoyed each others company. All the while making a difference for our friends by making the burden of a leaf covered yard disappear. And even greater was that our children went and played with their children and watched as the adults completed a big task all out of love.
Can I just say that my heart was completely filled up today? I loved and was able to love with simple service. Simply giving of a little time and a little energy.
And in return I strengthened friendships and was able to help make a small difference.
I am so thankful that I have been given the physical ability to not only take care of my families needs, but I can also have plenty left over to help my other family- my friends.
Thank you God for bestowing in my heart a need to serve.
And may I always have my eyes wide open to the many ways I can help others.

1 comment:

  1. Lori, there are no words. I appreciate the clear yard tremendously, but what touched me was that our children, all 12 of them, got to witness what it means to be Jesus. All I could think all day was "This is being Jesus, not protesting at military funerals or gay marriage legislation or any other form of condemnation. This is love." I do not feel worthy, but extremely grateful, and the impression you guys left on my kids is priceless. I just wish my cranky neighbor had been home and seen it!

    ReplyDelete