5.07.2010

Happy Mother's Day, Evan!


I'm sure many of you have heard me say it-

Evan makes a much better Mom than I do! I'm serious, he does.

It has nothing to do with not being manly, as you can take one look at him and be overwhelmed by his stature and physical presence.

But those of you that have the privilege of knowing him already know that 99% of Evan Bryant is heart. He has an amazing heart. The heart of a true caregiver.

And he ADORES children. I mean really. Like he would rather hold a baby than anything.

And my heart melts every time.

Because I am so lucky to have someone in my life who is a perfect example of God's never failing love. Here's a few times I love to see him in action:

Evan puts our kids to bed every night. That might not sound like a big deal, but for 30 minutes every night he does the exact same routine. All the while using the patience of a saint to get them settled in to sleep. And heaven forbid I have to stand in and try to make bed time work. Cause those kids don't like it one bit when their routine is altered in the least bit.

Case in point- the night after Evan had his thyroid removed. We spent all kinds of time mentally preparing the kids for a few days of change in routine. And the time came, and there were 3 of us in tears and 1 of us unconscious. Britton cried because I just couldn't get all of the steps to his routine correct. Haley cried because she was upset about her Daddy. And I cried because Britton told me he thought I probably just needed to not try and put him to bed- because I wasn't as good at it as Daddy. And Evan being the complete soft-hearted trooper that he is got up 2 days post-surgery and put the kids to bed the next night.

Did I mention he also gets our kids up in the morning? Yep. He dresses Britt, keeps Haley focused on getting ready and gets them to the kitchen. Where he also fixes breakfast and makes lunches. All of this happens when I am trying to get my non-morning person self out of bed.


And I should let you know also that Evan is not just awesome with our kids, he is amazing with all children.

If you ever want to see a really neat sight, go to the nursery at our church on some Wednesday nights and you will see Evan in the floor playing with the toddlers. Or you might see him walking the halls carrying a crying baby that misses their mommy. It's what he likes to do. And he's one of the only men I've ever seen in the nursery at the church. And being 6'4", it's really quite a sight to see him with a baby or toddler. Again, my heart melts.

And then there is his t-ball team. Yes, the man coached a t-ball team while being treated for cancer. And he did it with a level of patience that I'm not sure is human. Many people would have lost it completely with some of the kids he had. But he just kept telling them what a good job they were doing. Just like Jesus would have.


So this Sunday, on Mother's Day, I will be honored by my kids for being their mom. But I know deep down I couldn't do it without my other half. I can clean a mean house and run a tight ship, but the man with the biggest heart ever really is the one that makes it all work. I love you Evan Bryant.
PS- The lady in the middle of the picture at the top of this post is Evan's mom. And I'm pretty sure that she is the reason Evan is who he is today. She has a heart of gold and she would do anything for anyone. Happy Mother's Day to the best mother-in-law ever, Anita!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post...you are a blessed woman and he is a blessed man :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok OMG. this is insane. i think jesse and evan may be brothers. so much so that i am planning on getting him a mothers' days gift! this is too weird. jesse does all bedtimes and wake ups too and really is a WAY better mom than me. crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I am speechless and a little teary eyed. That was such a very sweet thing to say. I love you so much and am pretty lucky to have such a great wife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. Adam is my Evan. Aren't we so blessed?!

    ReplyDelete