5.12.2010

At The Kroger

I had something rather embarrassing happen to me yesterday afternoon.
It happened at Kroger in Peachtree City- a place I'm not fond of.
I try to avoid going there if I can, but pretty often, the need for food outweighs my hate for that place.

So yesterday I went at 4:05 in the afternoon. With both kids in tow. Which in my opinion is as close to hell as I can get. My kids take on whole new personalities when we get to The Kroger. (YES- I call it THE KROGER, cause that's what my mom would say. THE KROGER, THE WALMART, THE MACY'S...I think it's a southern thing)

But back to my story.

So I managed to get all of the grocery items we need for a project Haley has at school (another blog entry). And with the exception of a ginormous donut covered in sprinkles that Britton pitched a fit for, we had a pretty decent shopping experience. Until we got to the checkout line.

I placed all of our items on the belt in the 15 or less line. Oops, I think we had 16.

And the not-so-excited-to-work-at-the-kroger lady behind the counter rang up our groceries without saying a word.

I walked over to the card swiper, swiped my Kroger Plus card, swiped my debit card. And then it happened.

I forgot my pin number. Never had that happen before.

And I stood there mortified.

How did this happen. How did I forget a pin number I've used a million times?

I was so embarrassed.

And of course there was someone behind me. But lucky she was nice and she felt bad for me. Because she knew from the look on my face that at any moment I might have broken down into tears.

And the only reason I didn't cry was because she looked at me and said, "Do you want to try my number and maybe it will work for you?"

Umm- yeah. That's odd. Because alot of people have the same pin number right?

But she really was sweet.

And the cashier lady all of the sudden felt bad for me and offered to wait while I thought a little.

But I wasn't remembering any pin number. I wasn't remembering any numbers.

My mind was blank.

And so the cashier did what she thought was right.

She pushed a button on the register and changed my order from debit to credit.

She handed my the pen thing to sign the screen and thanked me for shopping at Kroger.

And I gathered up my bags and my now very quiet kids and left as quick as I could.

And we were almost to the car when I heard a female voice screaming at the top of her lungs, "Ma'am, you forgot your hamburger!!"

And since I didn't buy any hamburgers, I ignored her. Until she screamed louder at me from across a full parking lot. "YOUR HAMBURGER!!!".

And it was then that I noticed she was waving a bag that contained a pack of ground beef.

Ground beef that I had just bought using my debit card that has lost it's pin.

So like any good parent, I sent my 9 year old across the parking lot unassisted to retrieve the meat for our dinner (MY HAMBURGER!!).

And we got in the car and went home. On an 1/8th of a tank of gas. Because I couldn't get gas without my pin number.

If you happen to know my pin number, I'd like it back. Feel free to email or text me with it. Because it still has not made itself known to me. And I only have 3 chances before the bank locks me out of the ability to have money or make purchases.

And did I mention that I have googled "Alzheimer's in your 30's" and "Memory loss in young people" already today?


2 comments:

  1. Oh my. I forgot my password for something for work today and had to reset it. Not a big deal right? I've done it three times in the last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, girl. Jorge makes fun of me ALL THE TIME for saying 'the kroger', 'the shannon mall', 'the belkS' hahah...that made me laugh out loud!!! Thanks for not making me feel so dumb :)

    ReplyDelete