11.17.2010

Addiction

I used to have a Coke (Coca-Cola) addiction. I managed to get rid of that 12 weeks ago.
But the other day I was at the grocery store and I saw a nice cold Coke in the cooler at the end of the register.
And seeing as how I had just spent the last 30 minutes with Britton at the store talking his head off, I thought I might just have a little Coke to ease my frustration.
So I grab the Coke, put it on the belt with the rest of my groceries and checked out.
The sweet cashier handed me the drink separately so that it didn't get bagged, I paid and we were out the door.
As Britton and I were walking toward the exit, I opened the Coke, took a quick swig and looked over to see my doctor, Dr. Railey, standing next to me with a big grin telling me, "Hey there!"
Back story- 2 weeks ago I was in Dr. Railey's office and he noticed I had lost weight. He was very impressed and very happy about my new healthier self.
He asked me how I had managed to do so well and I told him it was a combination of Weight Watchers, eating better and giving up Coke.
So you can imagine the level of shame I had when I was caught red handed by my doctor.
And I feel certain he didn't even notice. I think he was just trying to say hi and get home to his family.
But I was embarrassed. I felt I had failed myself.
But really, my Coke wasn't that great anyway.
I can do without it and I will be fine.
And next time if I decide I need a Coke, I'll go to Publix. Because I now know my doctor frequents the Kroger!

2 comments:

  1. haha...last line is the best. i failed miserably in my promise to join y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done pretty well. Cheated a couple times based on killer headaches that too much medicine couldn't knock out. But definitely don't crave it anymore.

    ReplyDelete