7.19.2010

Back from the Beach- Some things I learned on Vacation

Here is a short list of things I learned on our recent vacation to Panama City.

1. It is NEVER a good idea to eat at Sonny's Bar-B-Q. That place is just gross.

2. Panama City Beach has become the Softball Mecca of the World. And in the unfortunate case you visit during one of the World Series Tournament Championships of the Universe, prepare to be surrounded by pre-teen and teenage girls who act like are in fact the center of the universe. And they didn't get this way on their own, their parents are completely responsible for making these little monsters into the ridiculous beings that they are. Don't plan on visiting a pool, shopping area or restaurant without whole swarms of these girls taking over the area in which you are in. And they are loud, and obnoxious. Consider yourselves warned.

3. The media hype about the oil spill has caused many people to cancel their Gulf Coast vacations. And other than the softball teams, there is no one there. Which is ridiculous because the beaches are clean and beautiful. We saw hundreds of people paid by BP to clean the beaches each day, and they never had anything to pick up. And the oil smell I had heard about, never smelled it.
It's sad really- it makes me want to slap anyone that cancels their vacation because of what they heard on the news.

4. July is Seaweed Month in the Ocean. No oil, just lots and lots of seaweed. Like so much seaweed you felt like you were swimming in an ocean of snot. So while the beaches were beautiful and the water was oil free, swimming was pretty gross. But I just kept telling myself that people pay big money for seaweed wraps and fancy shampoos and lotions that contain seaweed and kelp. So I'm sure my skin is as radiant as ever thanks to the ocean boogers.

5. Our kids are at a great age for vacation. We took a babysitter along with us this year, but I'm thinking we would have been ok without her. Don't get me wrong, it was nice having extra eyes, but our kids were very good and alot of fun to be with and play with the whole week. Very few arguments and alot of fun laughter. That being said, let's move to #6..

6. Britton hates the beach. He does not like the sand. He does not like the sun. He could spend countless hours in the pool, but he could care less about the beach. Interesting since that is what we paid to see, the beach. We were usually able to squeeze about an hour out of him on the beach before we were back at the pool.

7. Hooters has good food. Yep, nothing says family vacation like a trip to Hooters. It was one of the best meals we had all week. And a few little boobs don't intimidate me. So don't be a hater, just go get the boneless wings or the Buffalo Sandwich.

8. I am the Putt-Putt Queen of the Universe. Sorry honey, I beat you fair and square. Oh, and I don't recommend playing putt-putt at 2:00 in the afternoon at the beach. It's a little warm.

9. The first floor is the best place for a condo in a building with 21 floors and 2 elevators. Not to mention, it's a great place to be for someone who is terrified of heights (me).

10. The bed in 104E at Splash is very uncomfortable and loud. And by loud I mean if you move at all while you sleep, you will wake up and so will the people who might be near you.

11. And finally, we found the vacation spot for all inappropriately dressed, large folks. Don't get me wrong, I admit I am a big girl. But I also know that I need a one piece bathing suit with plenty of coverage. Most others did not get that memo.
We got to see plenty of stretch marks, belly rolls and tramp stamps on vacation.

So there you have it. A quick post about some of our vacation. I'll have plenty more I'm sure. And maybe some pictures to share.

2 comments:

  1. Yay vacation! Sorry you had to return to the real world. I actually just had the Sonny's conversation with my wife yesterday and it went like this:

    "I would rather eat my own feces than eat at Sonnys". She said that was gross, and I agreed - Sonnys is quite gross.

    And yes, Hooters has fantastic food. Their Buffalo Chicken Sandwich is the best that I remember having, and the scenery isn't bad either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete