3.28.2011

Extreme Makeover Playroom Edition

We are almost finished with our kid's playroom makeover. Literally I thought it would never get done.



We are super busy and barely have time to clean much less makeover a room.

But this weekend was an unusual weekend in that we had nothing but T-ball planned.

So we did the responsible thing and used this time to complete the project and to also give our house a good cleaning. Time well spent I must say.


As of yesterday, the only thing missing in the playroom is a TV. This is a hard purchase for us to make. Here's why- our kids are spoiled. Yep, rotten. And we have done that to them. And they expect nice things. So when the conversation came up about getting them a "nice" TV for the playroom, they were giddy. Giddy with greed that I don't like. But here's the deal:

We can't use the TV that is currently in there because we purchased a really awesome storage unit thing that is too narrow for a big ole tube TV to sit on. Thus, our only feasible option is a flat screen.

We have found some good deals on flat screens around town, but the committing to the purchase part of we the parents is hard. Should we really spend $200+ on a new TV for our kids after we just spent a butt load on redoing the room?

I don't know that answer.

I do know that I am contemplating a no TV time in our house where the kids can go into the awesome new room and simply play like kids are supposed to play. And depending on how much griping and complaining happens, maybe eventually we will buy the TV as a gift.

The gift part of the TV is simple since their birthdays are a month apart and in the summer. I'm thinking we tell them that as a joint birthday gift, they can have a small TV.

I don't know, is that the solution? I'm don't claim to be great at this parenting thing.

But I do admit to making them the kids they are today. The one's that expect nice things. I won't say I am totally wrong in doing so. And I think I have two really great kids.

But I do wish they understood a little more that life is not as easy as it seems. That money does not just show up.

And all of this is to say that we have our playroom almost done. Just not completely. So here it is:

Here is a not quality picture of the paint color. It's called Cement Gray by Martha Stewart. I'm not a big gray fan, but this I can live with.



And as you can see, we added a futon type couch to the room. Our kids are always sitting on the floor and we thought it would be nice to have somewhere for them to sit and relax. And it folds down into a bed so if we have to have a place for someone to sleep, here it is. Not to mention it will be great for sleepovers.


Here is Haley testing out the sleeping function.

If you look above the couch, you will see the inspirational artwork.

It's a map of the US made out of license plates. Hard to see here I know.

But the long term idea is to hang a series of license plates around this picture.

The picture itself is just a little small, but we are searching for the plates to go with it.

And why license plates you ask? Because Haley loves to play the game in the car where you find tags on cars from other states. And she has become fascinated with tags from all over the US, so the art seemed perfect. And it's gender neutral which is very hard to find. And since we have a boy and a girl, we needed something appropriate. tada.



And this is the storage unit we purchased at Target in hopes of keeping all of the toys and stuff neat and organized. We'll see how that goes, but so far I am loving it.

The low portion in the middle is where said TV will reside when it gets purchased.


And finally, here's the hottie that spent his entire Saturday with me making this room happen.

I can't wait to show you the finished finished product. When all of the parts come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment