4.05.2010

Video Church

Easter Sunday was a little different for our family. Evan and I decided to attend church with my brother and his wife and son. We made this decision because our family plans for Easter made it impossible to get to our church and back and get to see family on the schedule we had set.
So I'm sure that some of you will gasp and want to be upset with us for not making it to our church, but we went to church, which is important to us.
My brother attends Southside Church which is a satellite location for Northpoint Community Church, led by Andy Stanley. As most people know, Andy Stanley preaches on videos at the satellite locations. The thought of that freaked me out. I mean really? Why go to church to watch a video?
Well I have to say that I have changed my way of thinking about video church. It is phenomenal at Southside. I'm not sure that it would work at many other places, mainly because I feel like Andy Stanley is the reason it works. And before you go and judge me for being some kind of Andy Stanley cult follower. I am not. But I have NEVER heard the man preach a message that was not profound. He honestly knows how to speak to the common human being. Those of us who find ourselves screwing up on a daily basis.
And then there is the worship experience. The music is flawless (yes I know they pay the band). But I WANT to worship God when I am there. The energy is amazing. The dynamic of the people there is insane. I can't say enough about the worship.
And finally, I give props to Southside for nurturing my brother. Those people have held his hand and led him on a walk with Jesus. They are what he needed. They love him. And I am so thrilled he found Southside to be a part of. It's hard to believe that 3 years ago he was in jail and now he is serving others on Sunday morning as an usher. God is good.

1 comment: