4.22.2010

Pain

I met 4 people yesterday that were in some sort of pain.

One of them wasn't old enough to explain her true pain to me.
But I knew exactly what it was- she wanted he Mommy. She needed comfort and I was not her remedy. In her eyes, there was nothing I could do. And I totally understood where she was coming from. I have the same feeling sometimes too. Not necessary "I want my Mommy" but the feeling that I just need to be comforted.

The next person I encountered was truly in pain. Has been for months now. And all sorts of treatments are being used to try and make her feel better. And all I could do for her was promise that I will pray for her to feel better soon. That's all I've got I can do. I hope God hears me so that she can feel better.

The third lady I interacted with yesterday had a mental anguish that only she can truly understand. In ways, I felt like I really did understand what she was going through. But I wonder if I really do. I know I have been through alot emotionally lately, but to hear her speak broke my heart. And so I gave her a hug and told her to forget all of the people that are causing her doubt and grief. And for her I will also pray. I will pray that God will give her an easy path to follow. And that those who have turned away for her will stop being so selfish. Because only she and God know what she needs.

And finally I saw someone that left a permanent picture in my brain. A man whose wife had recently passed away. And the pain I saw was so deep. I felt like I could see right to his soul when I looked into his eyes. They were hollow and tired. Fresh with grief. And I will forever carry that memory with me. And I will say extra prayers of comfort that only God can bring to someone that has lost their love.

So yeah, I have felt pain. I remember like it was yesterday the physical pain of bringing my babies into the world. I remember the pain of losing loved ones. I remember the heartbreak I felt seeing Evan laying in a hospital bed in pain after surgery.
But after yesterday, I learned an important lesson about pain.
You can never assume that you understand the true pain that some one is feeling.
As each of these people showed me that I have no clue what they are feeling.
I was merely a bystander for a few moments in each of their lives.
And I promise not to try and understand how it feels.
And I hope people also don't try and understand my pain.
But I do hope that I will be the greatest comfort I can be.
Not judging or acting like I know.
But doing whatever it may be that will show them I care.
Even if it's a simple prayer or just being quiet and listening.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand. I understand how painful it is for me to watch you both go through this. But I can't understand your pain. I understand how painful it is to see our friend fight this. I just love you and pray for you. Constantly.

    ReplyDelete